There were a lot of tears this morning. My daughter insisted that she wear her favorite white dress shoes to her Thanksgiving Feast at preschool. Her heart was set on these shoes, only these shoes. But these beloved favorites have become a size too small.
“Does it hurt?” I asked her.
“No it fits, Mommy!” she mustered, clearly in pain, tears streaming down her face, as she tried to wobble down the front walkway.
Honestly, watching her squeeze her little feet into even littler shoes made me think of Cinderella’s poorly misguided step sisters. So determined, they pushed with all of their might into that tiny glass slipper, but no amount of force would take them to the ball.
I get it.
Sometimes all my well-intended plans and ideals don’t fit so well into my reality, or within my timeline, or the limits of a body and mind prone to exhaustion. But so often, I try to make it all fit anyway.
Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I can’t wait – the week ahead will be full. We will get to travel to see family. The season ahead will be so very full. But even in the midst of the merriment, I know, so much wars against peace.
So I’ve decided to make room in my life to breathe. Because if I’m not intentional, I might just forget.
Here are the ways, in no particular order, that I will try to remember to breathe this season:
1. I will hold my plans and ideals loosely. I will be flexible to hold new ways, if need be, to find happiness in my day.
2. I will stay in the moment – not overwhelmed by tomorrow’s unknowns or held back by yesterday’s regrets.
3. I will choose to unplug for a better part of the day. I will put down my phone. Close the laptop. I will put a limit on my “screen” time.
4. I will go to sleep at a reasonable hour.
5. I will choose to have a beautiful attitude above a beautiful, immaculate home.
6. I will eat foods that are healthy and healing. But I will eat pumpkin pie and whipped cream.
7. I will say no to a full schedule. But I will say yes to what is important.
8. I will remember He is God, and I am not… and praise and trust Him for this.
9. I will spend time outdoors.
10. I will remember to encourage someone.
11. I will stay constant in prayer.
12. I will have coffee with a friend.
13. I will not compare myself with others.
14. I will do my Christmas shopping mostly online.
15. I will find moments of quiet and rest, even if it’s in a closet.
16. I will give myself space for honest emotions.
17. I will write.
18. I will remember grace for myself and others.
19. I will hug my kids everyday, especially when they don’t deserve it.
20. I will ask for help when I need it.
21. I will make sure to laugh at myself at times.
22. I will remember my worth in His eyes.
23. I will stay in God’s Word.
24. I will go and see Christmas lights.
25. I will go on a date night with my husband (so long overdue).
26. I will choose to be thankful for every breath.
27. I will refer back to this list when I have forgotten all of these well-intentioned thoughts …
How will you make room to breathe this season?
Once her tears dried, and her feet had enough, she willingly settled for a pair of her comfortable tennis shoes, by the way…
And I thought she sparkled just as much. If not more. 🙂